Wednesday 8 December 2010

Determining the Learning Style of My Child

As a mother to a five year old son who would enter kindergarten school by next year, I was curious how my son would learn in a formal school setting after I educated him in his preschool age through the homeschooling method. In all the time that I used the homeschooling method for him, I would observe if he displayed any particular learning style and I wondered if he would use the learning styles he displayed in his preschool age and use any of them when he enters the kindergarten level.

It was a good thing I had a good memory, took notes and made video recordings during the time I was homeschooling my son. I researched the Internet about different learning styles of children and compared those styles to any particular learning style that my son showed during his homeschooling years. From the Internet, I learned that there are three basic types of learning styles displayed by children, which are the auditory, kinesthetic, and visual styles.

The auditory style is displayed by a child who prefers to listen to his lessons rather than reading them. The child with a kinesthetic style learns by doing and touching, and acting out the lessons he learned. The visual style is preferred by a child who learns by reading, looking at visual aids, and observes demonstrations.

In studying the three basic learning types of children, I found out that my son has the auditory learning style because during the time I was homeschooling him, he preferred in carefully listening to the lessons I gave him and I noticed that he would usually sit down and only occasionally moved in his chair.

0 comments:

Post a Comment