Monday 6 December 2010

How I Prepared My Child for Kindergarten Class


The kindergarten is the educational level when the formal schooling of a child starts and for my six year old son, it was also a time of anxieties and worries for him. As a mother to a six year child, I could understand his worries because I used the home education approach in educating him during his preschool years. Now that it is only a few months before he starts in kindergarten, I decided to do some research in preparing him for his kindergarten education and on how I could make him ready.

So I am sharing about the tips or guides I learned from my research and I hope other parents with children entering kindergarten would also use the same guides or tips that I learned. The guides are:

  • Instructions for using the bathroom – Many kindergarten classrooms are set up with their own bathrooms so you could just tell your child that he could politely ask his teacher on where the bathroom is located. You should also reassure him that his teacher would explain to the class on when and how to use the bathroom. If the classroom does not have its own bathroom, tell him that the teacher would explain to the class on where the nearest bathroom is located.
  • Social skills – Since I home educated my child during his preschool years and his contact with other children was mostly with the neighborhood children, I was initially worried if he had the right social skills for interacting with children from different backgrounds. However, I told him that kindergarten is an enjoyable place and it would give him a chance to meet, learn and play with new friends.

0 comments:

Post a Comment